The objective of performance testing is to demonstrate that the packaging system provides adequate protection to maintain a sterile barrier throughout the distribution and handling of the product. This is normally done by challenging the system through simulated distribution testing based on either ASTM or ISTA test methods listed here below:
- ASTM D4169 Standard Practice for performance testing of shipping containers and standard (Vehicle stacking / compression test)
- ASTM 4332 Standard Practice Conditioning Container, Packages or Packaging components for testing
- ASTM D4728 Standard Test method for Random Vibration testing of shipping Containers
- ASTM D999 Vibration testing of Shipping Containers: Method A, B or C
- ASTM D5276 Standard test Method for Drop Test of Loaded Containers by Free Fall.
- ASTM D642 Standard Test Method for Determining Compressive Resistance of Shipping Containers, Components, and Unit Loads
- ASTM D6653 Standard Test Method for Determining the effects of High Altitude on Packaging systems by Vacuum Method